Can I ship birds that are 2 weeks old? If so how? Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I have never shipped anything except day old chicks. I have a lady that really wants chicks and I was considering shipping her about 20 silkies. My first question would be considering that it's cold out, would they make it? I know hatcherys ship chicks in Feb and they make it just fine but considering these are silkies...I'm not so sure.

Do they have to be shipped in an adult bird box, or do I still use the day old chick boxes?

Any input would be soooooo helpful. I did read through what I found on BYC for shipping but all referred to either day old chicks, or adult birds.

2. ncfarm2012

ncfarm2012 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Reidsiville, NC
    I don't see why you couldn't ship them. I would ship in a day old box just so they are closer together which equals more heat! There is always a chance of death but I don't see why not. They should be fine. Just warn her of the complications of shipping and how it isn't your fault![​IMG]

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    NONONONONO.....Do NOT ship anything other than Day old chicks, or adult fowl.... THEY WILL NOT make it. Day old chicks have 3 days of reserve yolk to get them through shipping. Adult fowl over 6 ounces each have enough reserves to make it 3 days without food or water. DO NOT send two week old chicks through the mail. They MUST eat and drink frequently. You are sentencing them to a possible painful death. DO NOT blame the postal service if/when they die.

4. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    They would be going over night not 3 days.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Overnite has always meant 2 days in route when I shipped. I wouldn`t do it.......Pop

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    The postal regulations state that only day old chicks or adult fowl over 6 ounces can be mailed. There is a reason for that. You may get lucky, and all connections are made properly, and, by chance they DON'T die. On the other hand....This is the Christmas shipping season. There are TONS of Express Mail packages being shipped right now. Even if you get an ignorant window clerk who doesn't know any better to allow you to ship them, are you REALLY willing to send two week old babies through the mail at this time of year? That will be a MINIMUM of 24 hours without water. Are you really that cruel? What if they miss the plane/truck? 48 hours without water. Really? You would do that to them?? Have you EVER watched how often two week olds eat and drink? Why don't you try going 24 hours without food and water....

7. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    My express mailed chicks I received last Thursday were 24 hours late. Found out that the USPS doesn't guarantee 24 hour shipment on live birds, even if the tag SAYS guaranteed. They can take up to three days before paying a claim.

This is a VERY bad idea.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree with those who say not to ship them. Chicks drink water like dehydrated petunias after their first 48 hours of life. Chicks that are only a day old have yolk reserves to live off of, but once it's gone, they have to get it from their surroundings.

I would not only not ship them, but seriously reconsider shipping to someone who demands to have your birds immediately despite possible danger to their health. If they can't wait a few weeks for your chicks to grow, then they didn't really want them that badly anyway.

9. myra52

myra52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    I am afraid the chicks won't be well if you ship them for it is a long time. Even the adult fowl are not suggested to be ship in that long time. And will the postal workman take care of your chicks? That's difficult to say.

Juicy Couture outlet online

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by