1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I show a 'big boy' rooster at bird shows?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moochie, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I have a gorgeous and HUGE coronation sussex roo named Melvin [​IMG] I'll take pics if a size comparison is needed. But if you know the breed then you know what I'm talking about.
    More info :
    He black not silver (his daddy was silver I think..)
    He is 7 months old
    Not aggressive but flighty
    I don't have an available cage for him but I do have a labrador sized dog carrier that he does well in
    Heavy, very heavy
    Melvin is mating but is 2nd or 3rd ranked rooster (I have 5)
    He has a single comb but it has a lot of pokies on it
    Very very red comb and wattles
    Thick, big, and pretty shanks and feet
    The feet and shanks are a light pinkish or (peach?) color

Also if big boy roos are showable, do I supply my own cage? If so, where do I get a good, sturdy, and comfortable cage for him at a low price?
    I ask this because at a fair I saw mainly bantams and some normal sized roos (plymouth rock size) and my bantam isn't show quality I suppose. Please check my other question on another thead (probably this or the managing flock one) about bantam pricing at auctions.

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The poultry show I went to had some huge Langshan roosters so yeah you can.
    I have never entered a show but I guess when you fill out the entry form you let them know the size so that they can make sure to have a pen for him (not sure if all shows provide the pen or not)

I am sure some experienced show folks will chime in too for you.

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    when you enter him ask for a double coop. it is an extra big cage at the show. what part of him is black ? a coronation has lav feathers on its neck and tail,and white on the body. you need to have him tested for pullorium either before the show or at the show.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The only shows where the exhibitor supplies the cage is gamebird and very rarely small lawn shows. On the entry form you will be asked to specify bantam or largefowl (or waterfowl, turkey, etc.), the breed and the variety. You will also be asked whether he is a cock, hen cockerel, or pullet. If he is over a year old, he is a cock, under a year and he is a cockerel.

I also question his colouring--do you have a photo? If North Edwards is in California, as I suspect, there is no testing requirement. (Most of the west has no testing requirements.)

Use your dog carrier to take him to and from the show. I also like to take my own feed, although most shows provide feed.

Have FUN!

5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This past year was my first year Exhibiting my birds. I learned something new about showing at each show. One biggie is to NOT feed your bird before he is judged. You do not want your bird eating away when a judge comes up to his/her cage. The gentlmen who told me this tip would remove any feed cups in their cages till after the judging is done. To assure no one fills the feed cups.

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:I would be in junior showmanship by the way. Hmm well I'll have to see about the cage stuff. If he isn't a coronation then the add was pointing to his father I believe. On Melvin the black is on the hackles and on the tail. According to what I've read his dad (I found out his name is Papa Grande) aka Papa Grande is silver. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere.. Or the ad pictures.
    North Edwards is in California, the nice old deserts.
    And when and how do I fill out the entry forms? To be honest I don't know too much about this bird show other than it coming out in May. If there's an expensive fee then the mods may aswell lock the thread.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd love to see a picture!!! Please [​IMG]

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Ofcourse! Give me a minute to browse my picture folders.

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

[​IMG] Waiting at the edge of my seat to see a picture. I just [​IMG] pretty roos.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I would be in junior showmanship by the way. Hmm well I'll have to see about the cage stuff. If he isn't a coronation then the add was pointing to his father I believe. On Melvin the black is on the hackles and on the tail. According to what I've read his dad (I found out his name is Papa Grande) aka Papa Grande is silver. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere.. Or the ad pictures.
    North Edwards is in California, the nice old deserts.
    And when and how do I fill out the entry forms? To be honest I don't know too much about this bird show other than it coming out in May. If there's an expensive fee then the mods may aswell lock the thread.

The most expensive entry fee I've seen is $4 per bird; add double cooping an it is still only $8. Fpr mnay birds expensive, but for one? not. Showmanship usually ha no entry fee, and the bird's quality is not really important, what IS is your knowledge. If you have the information, call the show secfretary and ask for entry info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by