Can I show doves and pigeons in 4H?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by chickenman98, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Hello everyone, I have chickens but I am wanting some doves or pigeons. I am in 4H and I was wondering if I could show doves or pigeons in 4H. Also about how big of a pen is required for them?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

2. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    You would have to check with your local poultry leader for 4H different states have different rules. Good luck

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    At my fair I can show pigeons not so sure about doves though

4. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

5. damionlake

damionlake Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    I show poultry in 4-H, but its in Canada so it might be a bit different. But Poultry 4-H means you can raise almsot any bird, i have raised bantam chickens, standard chickens, quail, partridge, doves and this year im raising Emu`s for my project. So i dont see why you wouldn;t be able to show birds besides chickens. Just check in with your leader.

Cheers

Damion

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I know there are several around here that show pigeons in 4-H and they have an open class

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    My sons showed them when they first got into 4H

8. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:Really? that's so cool! I wanted to show pigeons too, as well as quail and pheasants, but I didn't know if I could... Now I am in Nova Scotia. Do you know if we can show here too? Were are you from?
    LOL sorry for all the questions [​IMG]

9. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    Check With The Local 4 H Leader About Local Show . I Know That At Shawnee In December There Is A Pigeon Show And You Can Show In The Jr. Show . There Are Several Pigeon Breeders In Ok. What Breed S Are You Considering? What Part Of Ok. Do You Live

10. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    I certainly hope so . We need a new generation of kids , young an old in our hobby . It would be great exposure . I don't see as many kids in the hobby like I used to .
    We are trying to work with a local scout group using them for animal husbandry badges and a local 4-H club .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by