Can I show either one? Silkie and showgirl:LOTSA PICS!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shannon's Chix, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I am thinking about taking one of these to a show. I've read up on the APA standard but I'm still not sure as I have never done this before and am fairly new to chickens. Please let me know what you think of these 2...and please keep in mind they've not been bathed, toes and beaks not done, etc...thanks!

*about 5 mo splash silkie pullet, Susie-Q:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 mo blue showgirl cockerel, Ricardo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Professional

Professional Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    You can "show" (exhibit) anything you like. Your splash silkie is unfortunately not a show quality specimen. That bird will place, only if there is no competition.

Most serious poultry exhibitors are offended by the presence of those showgirls in the show hall. They are not recognized by the APA or the ABA, and so cannot compete beyond the breed level. In addition, that bird has lousy silkie type and feathering.

Enter them if you like, for the experience. Just go into it knowing what your birds' limitations are. Likely some kindly exhibitor will take pity on you after seeing those entries, and give you a well deserved lesson on what constitutes a good silkie, using some of the good birds there for comparison.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your splash is not show quality, and not a pullet, but a cockerel. The showgirl is a little better type-wise, but is a black, not a blue. As was mentioned above, they are not recognized. They can be shown as an AOV silkie, but cannot compete for best of breed or higher. The highest it can win is best AOV. I breed and exhibit silkies and am in no way offended to see showgirls in the show hall, in fact, I know of few breeders who would actually be offended by their presence at a show. They've progresses a lot over the past several years, to the point of many having better type and coloring than a lot of the fully-feathered silkies exhibited at some shows. Since it sounds like it would be your first show, I'd encourage you to bring your birds, get the judges opinions and let them show you how you can improve on them. Don't be afraid to ask them why they placed birds the way they did (just not during judging, they're pretty busy then). Also speak to a few breeders and see if they might be able to help you build up your flock. Good luck.

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I agree with both posts. They look like pet quality silkies..[​IMG]

5. Professional

Professional Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Correction: there is no AOV class, unless you confuse it with the APA AOSB class, which includes only specific listed breeds, and neither silkies nor showgirls are covered in that class. One may enter a purple spotted pink breasted backyard beast, and it will be judged only with the others of it's "breed". The BB will not be judged against, say the BB showgirl, to choose the CH AOV, because that class does not exist.

I should have written that most exhibitors other than silkie breeders have not been accepting of the showgirls. Many find the name of the breed alone to be a source of ridicule. Maybe as a silkie breeder, lilpeeps does not spend enough time out of her immediate circle of friends, but I can assure you that, should the breed ever be presented for recognition, there will be an outcry against it. If not against the breed itself, certainly against the name. I myself, to try and uphold the prestige of the fancy, will be lobbying the ABA and the APA at the very least to insist that the breed name be changed to something more respectable, if it is to be included in our standards. I do not want to have to explain to my young child what a showgirl is, and, absurdly, why a cock or cockerel is also considered a showgirl.

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'd take 'em! The worst that can happen is that you make new friends who have similar interests, and you bring home a couple more birds! I'm a Serama girl, so I cannot comment on the subtlties of Silkie quality. I'll bet, though, that you meet at least one other person who thinks your bird would be an asset to their breeding program, even if it's not to yours. Just don't entr it as a pullet, though! My Silkie is a nursing home ambassador, and she's going to my first show, regardless of her quality. I'm using her as a friend-making decoy...

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I agree with LilPeeps, but would add that the birds are too young to show and still have sufficient development that judging their quality at this point is jumping the gun. I have had birds who at 4-6 months looked like they would go nowhere and with another couple or three months of development became quite nice birds.

Susie-Q has a better tail and better foot feathering; Ricardo has a very nice comb. I cannot tell about Susie-Q's comb--make sure it is a walnut comb. Am I seeing silver on Ricardo's wings and tail, or is that just a reflection of the light? Both carry their wings very well.

I find Professional's comments to be unkind at best, and I am offended by his predjudices. I know many non-silkie breeders who are not at all offended at showgirls, and the only questions I have ever received about their names was "why?" and once it was explained that they were designed and bred to look like Las Vegas showgirls with their huge feathery fans and headresses, comprehension dawns. There are a few who find the idea of a showgirl cock or cockerel amusing. I just saw a post with "Delaware Blue Hen roosters" in the topic title and while I find it equally amusing; however, I am in no way angry about the use of that name.

You are right that AOV is not listed in the standards; however, every show I have ever been to has accepted AOV birds--if they didn't there would be no mechanism for acceptance of new varieties or breeds since they must be exhibited to be recognised.

8. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    [​IMG] You can't be serious! Ok, she's a BOY??? Wow, I did not see that one coming![​IMG]
    I just figured when I got *her *she was supposedly older than my showgirl and he started to crow and *she never has...still! WOW...

Anyway, thanks for ...most of the info. Question though I'm pretty sure I know the answer to...if the splash is pet quality does that mean she is not BQ?

Okay well I probably won't end up showing but I will have 2 cockerels for sale, I have another younger partridge showgirl, but I'll probably keep Ricardo...he's very sweet and regardless of some opinions I really love the look of the showgirls, even more than the silkies. I think if I did show him ever and a judge was offended by him, honestly I wouldn't give a hoot much what he/she thought. But that's just me...

I thought Ricardo was blue because of the very light feathering he has under the black, I saw several threads about it and just thought he was blue. Actually though, on his wing tips and tail feathers the sheen is actually green (I'm not much of a photographer), is that good or bad for the black variety?

Thanks again for the responses! I have to go have a talk with that darn Susie-Q about acting his gender! Crow or something![​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think you need to let Susie-Q mature more before deciding on her quality. Males who are a bit tall tend to breed better than the typiest males. Green sheen is GOOD on black birds.

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Hmmm....

Why is "Showgirl" any worse than "Buttercup" or "Manx Rumpie" or, as somebody else pointed out, "Delaware Blue Hen"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by