1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I slow down the incubating length somehow?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QChickieMama, Oct 8, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I will be getting back in town on day #18 of my quail eggs incubating. I really (REALLY) don't want to miss seeing my first batch, if any hatch. So, is day #18 a possibility? I have the temp right around 102, but for a few days it stayed around 99-100 b/c the garage was cold. They're indoors now.

I've read that it takes about 16-17 days. What's your experience? If I decrease the temp to 99 (it's day #10 now) from now until hatching, will that prolong the process a bit so they'll be more likely to come on day #18?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would leave the temperature on as is. The more you mess with it during this time, the more problems can result with your hatch.

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Just based on fiddling, it's possible that you could go into the 18-21 day hatching cycle, but I would let the little critters hatch when they are ready. Not a moment sooner or later. Just have someone standing by to move the little fuzzy butts to the brooder if you can't.

Life just happens, you can't speed it up or slow it down to suit your schedule. On a side note: Don't incubate eggs in the garage!

4. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Why is this? I was keeping it shut 98% of the time, and it's more insulated than most other garages.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have a cabinet in my brooder room which is in the barn. It really depends on your incubator. I still would let the eggs hatch on time. Later causes weaker chicks in the gene pool IMHO

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I stretch the incubation time ALL THE TIME . . .not on purpose . . . . 23 days for button quails . . .ya that one was fun [​IMG]

To be honest I think it's because my incubator is ghetto and runs at a lower temp.

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I agree that it wouldn't be a good thing to try and mess with. Try to plan ahead when you set the eggs if at all possible because once they go in you could kill them all trying to make them stay longer.

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Why is this? I was keeping it shut 98% of the time, and it's more insulated than most other garages.

Well...No matter how high faulting your bator is....the temp swings in a generally unregulated temperature environment, exposed to massive temp swings, plus and minus like a garage/shed, etc...are not really a good place to incubate eggs of any kind.

9. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    slowing down incubation time usually have to start from the beginning if you start at 98 degrees instead of 99.5 you can extend the time from 18 days off into 21 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by