can I start buckeye and freedom ranger chicks together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hildymarie, Nov 7, 2009.

1. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    We are making plans for spring and I want to start some buckeye and freedom rangers instead of doing the mutants this year coming. This way we can have soem heavy birds that will lay eggs and still get meaties that arent as difficult to keep alive and know how to forage. From what I understand the freedom rangers arent like the crosses in that they act more like 'normal' chickens and take a few weeks longer to grow to slaughter size. Does this mean they wont park their butts in front of the feeder and crowd out anyone else like the crosses do? We would separate them when the time comes to grow them out but as far as the first few weeks when they are starting out, would there be a problem.
    Anybody got any experiences that could help me out?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    No experience with rangers but we have had Cornish crosses with standard Cochins for the first two weeks and did fine. I would think you would do fine (certainly no harm) combining them.

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I have never heard of a freedom ranger, but my Buckeyes are awesome free rangers. I even saw two roos gang up on a hawk. The roos won.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by