Can I start chicks this time of year in the Midwest?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DanIndiana, Aug 27, 2010.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    We're in NW Indiana where it obviously gets rather cold. Can I start chicks this time of year reasonably?

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I started a group last year that hatched September 1 ( I am in a cold part of Texas----yes, such a thing does exist [​IMG]) and it was perfect timing, the weather was not too hot but not extremely cool. They all started laying early March.

I have additions to that flock that will be shipping Sep 1 from Ideal again this year [​IMG] I think it's a good time to start chicks!

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    You absolutely can! [​IMG] However, it is understood that they will be in a brooder (with a heat source) for several weeks so they can feather out. I would give them a heat source at night, and on cold days in the winter. Come spring, you will be able to collect eggs! As long as those basic needs are met...food, water, warmth....they will be fine!

4. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    I say it's NOT too late! My Hova-bator should be arriving any day now in the mail. Do you think anyone could wait till SPRING to hatch some babies out?! Heck no! I'm going to keep the brooder in my master bathroom till they can do outside [​IMG]. My hubby doesn't know that yet though lol. I say go for it and just make sure they stay warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by