Can I Start Giving My 3 Wk Old Chicks Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickmate, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    The dogs and I are on our way out to the coop to check on my 3 week old chicks. I took them out of the brooder a couple of days ago and as of yesterday they have the run of the entire coop. I keep the temp in the coop at 75 degrees and they also have a heat lamp. My question is, are they too young to start giving them food scraps and treats? I'd like to take some apples, oatmeal, bread, Grape Nuts cereal, etc. to them, but not sure if they can handle anything but chick feed yet. Advice? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes you can give them treats but in small quantity. Think of them as you would a baby. Mild on tummy kinda food and small amounts. It will make them much easier to handle when they start to associate you with treats.

If you can find a patch of green sod for them, I know it's hard right now at least it is for me to find green, lol. Give them a patch of turf, dirt and all. They will have a blast with it!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    As long as they have access to grit or dirt you can give it to them. Don't be surprised if they don't dig in right away. They are a little leery of new stuff. I just gave mine apple pieces for the first time today and they acted like I was trying to poison them. [​IMG]

4. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Quote:Wow, I'm heading out to the yard with my shovel right now!!! Thanks for this tip!
    [​IMG]

Also thanks to the rest of you for the advice. I can't wait to see them come running to me when they see me coming with treats!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. viviob

viviob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Me too -- I'm heading out with my shovel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by