can i start my ducks on chicken corn and laying pellets at 6/8 weeks ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickens&ducks_RULE, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chickens&ducks_RULE

chickens&ducks_RULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    hey, a few days ago my dad put my 6 pekin bantams outside in there new coop and i just started them on chicken corn yesturday

but in about 2/3 weeks my 5 ducks and 2 chicks will be going in the same coop so can i feed my ducklings on chicken corn and laying pellets from 6 or 8 weeks old ??

i only have chicken corn and laying pellets and i dont think the pet store's by me sell any other feed [​IMG]

thanks!

~Daniel

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Cracked corn is ONLY a treat, and should not compose of more than 10% of their diet. If they're under 15 weeks, feeding layer might cause some future internal/laying issues since the extra calcium isn't needed and can cause internal bleeding and kidney problems.

3. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    ah [​IMG]

can someone please give me advice on what i can buy for 8 week old ducks ?

there nearly 5 weeks now but i want to get the food and everything ready

there on chick crumb now till 8 weeks then i got to feed them what?

but chickens and ducks have to be able to eat it

thanks so much [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You can feed a grower ration or multi-purpose flock ration to both. Manna Pro's version is called Trip-L-Duty; Purina's is called Flock Raiser; not sure of other brands. There are feeds specifically for waterfowl, but if you wat to feed the same food to all, your best bet is a flock or grower ration.

5. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    would the Flock Raiser be ok for the chicks and ducklings if i can find it anywhere by me ?

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    How about Game Bird Starter/Grower? That would be fine for chicks and ducklings. Most feed stores carry that.

7. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    thanks!

i'll see if the pet shops by me sell it [​IMG]

8. chickens&ducks_RULE

Jul 27, 2010
    South Wales!!
    right i asked the guy today when he deliverd my sacks dose he sell game bird grower and he said he can see about getting it then i said its for chicks and ducklings from 8 weeks to 20 weeks and he said you can use normal grower feed for that i have sacks of it in the shop

would just grower feed be alright for chicks and ducks at 8 weeks till 20 weeks ?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Should be fine. Might be better as waterfowl tend to have issues with protein that is too high, and gamebird is often higher.

10. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    According to Storey's guide on raising ducks they should be getting 16% protein. We feed our ducks - who are 14 weeks old - Flock Raiser which is 21% protein with whole oats which are about 12% protein. When I mix their food bucket for every 9 oz of Flock Raiser they get 7 oz of oats which brings the protein level down to 16% (I used a Pearson's square to figure it out). I introduced the oats gradually and they are doing fine on them. Also oats are WAY cheaper than the duck food. BTW, my chickens sneak into the duck pen all the time to take the oats from their feeder. Doesn't seem to hurt the chickens either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by