can I stick 3 new babies under my mama hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roosteroops, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    I need 3 more hens for my flock of 7 - I ended up with 2 roosters after the farmer at the NC State Fair swore he was giving me a pullet! My girls are getting "abused" so to say.....

So, I found a place near by that is selling 3 day old chicks that have been sexed. So, since I have a mama and one baby that hatched about 3 days ago - I thought I could sneak in at night and stuff 3 more (of the same age) under her..... she'd wake up and hopefully not suddenly have learned to count! She has been a fantastic mama so far - very cool to watch.

Is this possible? Highly possible or minimally? Thanks.

2. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm gonna try the same thing when my chicks arrive. Post how it goes.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

This normally only works if the hen has hatched chicks, but not yet moved them off the nest. And, don't bet on her "not noticing" three more chicks in the morning !

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have switched eggs for chicks with good luck. One of the times, after switching the eggs for chicks, I decided I wanted a couple more babies. When I brought them home, the hen noticed and did not accept the additional ones, and tried to peck them to death, so in the house they came. It was so weird how she knew exactly which ones were the added ones. They have good eye site.
    So anyway, try it, but be prepared to remove if necessary.
    Good luck!

5. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Oh bummer! Glad I asked though!!! I won't try it - I'm leaving on vaca. on Friday and it sounds like I should have an eye on the situation.
    Anyone in NC have some older pullets that will be near the Raleigh area soon? Where do you post that request?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by