Can I still give them cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wizbop, May 20, 2011.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Can my chickens still eat cracked corn this time of year (spring)? Or is it only something I should feed them in the winter? I still have a lot leftover and they love it.

2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I use it as a treat.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feeding corn makes a chicken warm. Pretty much a myth. All grains/feed act pretty much the same in all weather.
    Feeding a little cracked corn, for 10% of the calories would be just fine.

4. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Yes, that's what I meant. Not as food, but just something to peck/scratch around for.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Since I am lazy, old and recently operated on, I use my chickens to help me with my composting and gardening. I toss a small amount of corn where I want the chickens to work for me and they do the rest. I never have to worry about any bugs until I plant and lock them out of the garden. But they get to work the compost pile year round. They are better than any chemical at keeping the bugs down.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I just feed a scratch grain type of feed all year round (as a snack), rarely giving just straight chops aka cracked corn anymore. Got healtier stuff in it for em and they enjoy it every bit as much, maybe more. Now if for some reason I have to give them chops, they give me stinkeye, like I'm jipping them. Hey Lady! Where's our BOSS?? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Fred's Hens :

Feeding corn makes a chicken warm. Pretty much a myth. All grains/feed act pretty much the same in all weather.
    Feeding a little cracked corn, for 10% of the calories would be just fine.

Can 999 million Internet posters be wrong?

[​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Gotta agree with you there! I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands earlier this year and being old and lazy as well, mine also have full access to the compost, and any garden area that is not planted. I tend to pitch compost on it (when I'm able - dang hands! Heal already!) and let them turn that in a bit too.

I've had these girls a little over a year and I must say, I have much fewer bugs than ever. I've always been an organic gardener and never thought I had that many bugs to begin with, but they have shown me the error of my thoughts. Only things I curse over now are the aphids when the ladybugs don't seem active.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Can 999 million Internet posters be wrong?

[​IMG]

I've found that a million people saying "It works great!" carries more weight than scientific research on the internet. [​IMG]

But then that is in itself a form of research, I think! After all, they poll people for results, right?

10. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    WOW i'm so backwards then huh? [​IMG] I feed both layena & scratch in the winter. Right now i'm only feeding scratch, and I put it in their automatic feeder. Yet again our birds are free rangers too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by