can i stop a rooster mounting ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AusChook, Oct 30, 2013.

1. AusChook

AusChook Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Australia
    I have a 10 month old rooster. He has started mounting my ducks. He is a big boy and has damaged my ducks. He has managed to rip out all the feathers on their backs and made them bleed. He has 5 hens and just him. Can I stop this? We dont want him to go but I wont get rid of my ducks.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Not really a way to stop it without separating him from the ducks, which it sounds like you better do ASAP if he's seriously hurting them. You could also try getting more hens to distract him from the ducks, which you might want to do anyway because once you take the ducks away he's probably just going to go after your five hens more often and end up injuring them. People usually recommend ten hens to a rooster.

Better yet, if you can, get rid of the rooster. If he's that aggressively mating other birds he's not worth it. There are plenty of good roosters out there looking for homes that would happily take his place. I'd never keep a rooster if he was hurting my other birds like that, there are just too many good, respectful roosters out there looking for homes for me to justify keeping a nasty one.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, any bird that's that aggressive needs to go. You don't want to pass those genes on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by