Can I stop Terra Vet-10?

Jaimoore

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
I am new to chickens. I went to the feed store to ask about a chick that was only a few days old that had consistent pasty butt. I would clean her off and within an hour or so she would be blocked again. The gal quickly told me to start her and the other chicks on Terra Vet-10. When I got home unfortunately she had passed away :( The other chicks were happy and seemed healthy to me. The gal said I should start the others on it anyway. They have been on it now for 4 days and from what I have read it is used to treat respiratory diseases. They don't have that though. Should I stop the meds? Is it safe to stop? I'm worried about both sides. If I stop mid treatment am I opening them up for becoming med resistant later on? Or am I damaging them by them being on a med unnecessarily?

That should be fine. You also might want to try fermenting their feed, which keeps the probiotics coming in every meal. It has the added benefit of being a great deal less wasteful.
This thread has a ton of information on how to ferment the feed. Don't let the size of the thread intimidate you. Just go ahead and jump in and ask questions if you feel like it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds

Back
Top Bottom