CAN I SWITCH 17week PULLETS TO LAYER FEED?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by liparotto, Dec 8, 2011.

1. liparotto

liparotto Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    I have three 17 week old hens and I am about to run out of their organic starter feed. From what I've read, they could start laying anytime between three weeks and three months from now. I am assuming they may be a little delayed since it's winter. Temps are warm because we're in southern California, but days are short. So my question is whether it's ok to just move on to layer feed at this stage, or do I really need to wait until they start laying due to the extra calcium in the feed.

Thanks for any ideas on this!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    You can get them ready, throw in a bit of protein feed in there as well. They will be fine.

If you have Purina flock raiser, you can use that along with oyster shells, free feed.

3. liparotto

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for your reply, but I'd just like to clarify. At this point I am pretty much out of feed, so I'm starting from scratch. It sounds like you're saying it's ok to just switch them to layer feed when I buy more this weekend. Is that right?

Thanks

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes you can start them on layer now...they are not far from laying age

5. liparotto

Sep 7, 2011
    Got it. Thanks!

6. Garden Betty

Garden Betty Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Coastal Los Angeles
    My Coop
    Mine are about the same age and I'll be switching them over this weekend too.

I was told by the farm where I got them, that they may not start laying until spring because of the shorter days... but I hope it happens sooner!

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    you should start chickens on layer feed about 18 weeks.....but a week early wont hurt them...its too bad you didnt get some new feed
    i couple weeks ago and start to mix the 2 feeds together just to get them use to it instead of a total switch....you may find they dont like the new feed
    and might give you the "what is this???" ..look!...but they will get use to it!....for a treat you can mix the new feed with a little warm water in a dish....my
    chickens love that!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:at age of 22 weeks give them longer day by adding light few hours, thats how birds know its spring no matter the temp.

9. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I tried to suddenly switch my only laying pullet to Layena - and boy was she not having any of it! I tossed it to her and she pecked a few pieces then went over and ate the medicated Grow & Start. Some people suggested I switch her to Flockraiser since I still have babies in there too - but I don't see the benefit of switching her to something that is similar to what I am already feeding the babies - it's just higher in protein for feeding mixed flocks of turkey, ducks and chickens. I thought maybe it was the fact it wasn't crumbled so I took my meat tenderizer & smashed some up, put it in yogurt and tried to give it to her. The rooster loved it. The pullet, not so much. Although I did see her go back later and clean up the remaining mess the rooster made of it on the ground. I figure she'll eat it when her body is ready to eat it and when she's hungry enough. It's hanging up high so the babies won't try to chew on it - although in pellet form I doubt they would be able to eat much, if any, of it.

All that to say - yes you can switch her - she's close enough to the age that needs the calcium that it will be fine. However be prepared for the "what the heck is this garbage" attitude [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by