Can I take 3 day old chicks away from mother? Updated with results

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fivestring, Apr 8, 2009.

1. fivestring

fivestring Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Nashville Georgia
    I am very cramped for space. I have mother Buff and 3 Blue Orp babies in the coop alone. She hatched them out for me. I tried letting my other hens in with them, but they peck at the chicks. So now the hens are outside in the run. The nest boxes are inside the coop. So my hens can't get to their usual egg laying spot.

I am wondering should I put the chicks in a brooder and let all the hens back into the coop? I have a brooder all set up ready to go with heat lamp, etc.

And would this help mother hen to start laying eggs again sooner?

Meanwhile, all the roos are in a coop and run next door because I only have two adult hens and 5 young roos that are feeling the hormones kick in. Poor girls can't take two steps without a roo jumping on. So, the roos, all but one, are headed for the freezer.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    you can take them away.. Mother hen probably won't be too happy (if she has spurs.. remember to wear long pants and possible boots or risk it) but you can as long as you supply heat, and yes it will help her lay sooner because instead of raising chickens for a couple of months.. she'll get over them in about a week, and then be back to her normal-self usually about a week later (Though some hens take longer depending on weather and the individual/other stuff like that)

3. fivestring

fivestring Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Nashville Georgia
    So, I did take the babies from mother on Thursday. I put them in a brooder. 30 minutes later, mother was real concerned about the whereabouts of her clutch. Yeah, right! She was rolling around in the dirt taking a much needed spa session for herself! She went right back to her old, lovable, pre-broody self almost immediately.

That was Thursday, 4 days ago. She started laying eggs again today! Back to the ol' grind, I guess. It's good to have her nice, big, brown eggs back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by