Can I take a quick second to brag? First show on my horse...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jettgirl24, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Not my first show, but the first show for the girl who half-leases my horse... And let me tell you, she blew me away. This was her first dressage show and she rode Training 3 and First 1. She did an unbelievable job and rode one of the most accurate tests I've seen in awhile... Did I mention that she is blind? I have ridden many a test in my day and I really have no idea how she does it, she is definitely an inspiration.

My horse, Watchman, went in there and was steady as can be - did his job and had a great time. They ended up with a 66% at Training 3 and 68.9% at First 1... Two second place ribbons and Reserve High Point for the show. I'm absolutely thrilled for her as this was a MAJOR confidence builder for her as she begins her journey toward getting her Para certification so she can compete in Para-Dressage.

Here are some pics from her warm up... I wish we had some of her during her tests but our photographer friend was helping us out as one of her "living letters" so she could navigate the ring [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    All I can say is WOW! and congratulations on such great results!!

[​IMG]

Rusty

3. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Wow! Beautiful horse and what a great accomplishment for the rider.

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    CONGRATULATIONS,,
    You should brag, you have an awesome horse and she is looks wonderfull o him.
    If you hadn't told us, no one would ever know.
    What an inspirations for others to follow.

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    That's awesome! Please tell us how these "living letters" work & how she finds her way around the arena.

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Thanks guys! I'm so proud of my horse's accomplishments this year both with myself and with her... He absolutely blows me away every day. He's a once in a lifetime guy [​IMG]

So the "living letters" consist of a person standing just outside of the dressage arena at each letter where a movement needs to happen. As she approaches the person at the letter they call out the letter three times, twice before she gets there and once as she is next to them so that she knows where to start her circles, diagonals, etc. For the centerline and the diagonal lines (basically any straight line off the rail) the person at the letter she is supposed to be aiming for calls their letter as soon as she makes the turn so that she can follow the sound of their voice. She has had to memorize the arena and the location of the letters very carefully so that she kind of knows how the arena is laid out as well...

Honestly I have no idea how she does it. I've tried riding with my eyes closed just to get some idea of what she's up against and it changes everything about how you need to ride. It is challenging even to balance, let alone figure out where in the ring you are. She is really a beautiful rider and does a great job with my guy. She will be starting to ride with my instructor soon who is absolutely top notch so I'm very excited to see where she goes. The Para-dressage world is getting more and more competitive every year but I think she's definitely got the talent to do some great things!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow, you brought a tear to this old man's eyes. Her smile says it all. Great job on her part, the part of the horse, and on your part for helping her. I applaud you. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Like sourland the smile says it all.
    Beautiful horse, beautiful rider!!!!

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Wonderful! I was watching College Rodeo National Finals and there was a girl running barrels that was legally blind. They interviewed her and she talked about having people at the barrels when she was learning so he would know how to run. She says when she enters the arena, she just sees three blurs...

Inspirational....

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by