Can i take away the food and water at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunnibunny99, Apr 6, 2009.

1. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    Hey [​IMG]

My mom thinks its okay for our month and a half old pullets to be off of food at night, while their sleeping. But my dad thinks that in case they are hungry at night, they need food.

Whats your opinion? I really don't want them to be hungry at night if they wake up!

I just need an answer [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If you still have the light on them, (Im guessing you do) Then I would leave the food with them. Because as long as they have a light they will eat and drink off and on thru out the night.

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    last time i checked you dont take away the food or water from the chickens at night bc there is no reason to. it isnt going to go bad over night and chickens dont over eat so leaving it there is all good.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the light is still on and there is no food and water available, they will eat something if they get hungry......

most likely they will start pecking on each other.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I leave food and water 24/7.

6. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    [​IMG] i guess my dad wins! thanks people!

7. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks drink and eat at all hours of the night ( I go out hourly and peek at them ) [​IMG]...They only sleep a little bit at a time ...waking up to eat and drink LOTS of water!!

If you removed water at night they might suffer from thirst till you watered them again in the morning ....And chicks need food and water ...so it serves no purpose to cut them off for up to 8 hours without food and water....JUst think of them as you would human babies....they eat at ALL hours of the night...so you ought to keep water and food available to them ....just my thoughts...[​IMG]

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    All of mine are up to eat and drink constantly throughout the night. I would leave it!!!!!!

9. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    I would leave it, because there's no reason to take it away. Plus, it's one more thing to not have to worry about doing before bed.

10. Rockies

Rockies New Egg

Apr 28, 2014
    I take the food away from my meat chicks at night for the first two weeks or so or else the chicks will grow too fast and the heart doesn't grow fast enough for the meat and the chickens have heart attacks. the nighttime gives a chance for the heart to catch up to the size of the bird. It's up to you but i havent lost a chick in 3 years.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by