Can i take food away from my chickies at night?

sodamancer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
PNW
As said above? they are roosting on the feeder in the brooder. I gave them a stick but they still use this! anyway i just want it gone at night? is this okay to do? also how much food do the chickies need everyday? they are now outside in a hoop run during the day as i build the coop. girls are feeding them bugs and what not. I have 7 chickies.

Last edited:
As said above? they are roosting on the feeder in the brooder. I gave them a stick but they still use this! anyway i just want it gone at night? is this okay to do? also how much food do the chickies need everyday? they are now outside in a hoop run during the day as i build the coop. girls are feeding them bugs and what not. I have 7 chickies.
Hi sodamancer,

How old are the chicks?
I would be hesitant to limit food too much for growing chicks, but in theory you can take the food out at night if it is dark. They won't eat in the dark.
If the problem is roosting on the feeder, you can put something on the feeder so they cannot get on it, like an inverted funnel. Also you can train the chicks to use the roost by putting them on the roost at night.
I have not seen little chicks use a roost, but yours sound like they are older.

Imp

my oldest 3 roost. My chicks range from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. I wanted a diverse flock unfortunately this meant crazy age difference too.

If your using a heat lamp there is still light in there at night and they will be active. As Imp said put something on the feeder. It might help to put the roost higher than the feeder too.

Back
Top Bottom