Can I take my chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toddrick, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    My five chicks are nearing three weeks old, and about half feathered. They are getting quite rambunctious in the brooder, and now they all fly out to me when I open it. The only exercise they get is climbing on me, so I want them to run around outside soon. I'm unsure how to go about this.

I just started them on medicated feed, and have been giving them some sand for grit. It's pretty cool and windy in Indiana these days though, so I'm sure they can't be out for long. I'm thinking the best plan might be using a big box with an open bottom so the walls would block the wind?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi there - we are also in Indiana and I will offer this - my broody is raising a batch of chicks who are two weeks old and she had them outside today for a two hour stretch with no warm up breaks. Since she did not provide any "heat" to them during this outing, your three week olds should be fine going out for a good "field trip".

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Meant to add - you will want to provide supervision, of course, not only for safety's sake, but to enable you to monitor them for signs of distress (chill) so you can know when they've had enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by