Can I take my dirty chicks a little bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Dec 13, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Hi

I let my 2 brown chicks at the backyard for a short period of time so they can play. We accidentally sprinkled them with dust from the soil, they got dirty and lost their fluffiness. Can I give them a little bath? I was thinking of boiling some water, dipping some cotton balls into the hot water then dab it on the chick. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They love getting dirt on them - I'd leave them it will wear off eventually!

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Chickens even as chicks love to dust themselves. The dust will come off. I would leave them alone. They are just doing what come naturally. Getting them wet is not worth the rist. I have some little chicks that are dusting in the brooder in the spilled food.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think if you get them wet, even with a cotton ball, it will just turn the soil to mud, and that's a worse problem. The dirt will probably fall off with a few good full shakes of the feathers.

6. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    No need to give them a little cotton bath! [​IMG]

I accidentally dropped a chick on a pile of soil(sorry!) and she rolled around to get up. She got dirty and lost her fluff, but 1 day later she's clean again. Don't worry! [​IMG]

7. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Getting them wet might chill them. Their fluff is what keeps them warm, dirty or no. Maybe give them some white sand to play in? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by