Can I take my hatched chicks out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Today is just day 20, but I have 6 chicks out of 7 that hatched in the bator. #7 has not pipped yet that I can see. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get the 6 out of there now before #7 does pip? Most of the chicks hatched yesterday.

Thank you!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Alot of folks will tell you to leave them in there, because you will mess up the humidity by opening the incubator during "lockdown" to get those chicks out.

If you really want them out though, I would recommend grabbing them up quickly, spraying a fine mist of warm water into the incubator, and shutting it very quickly......I have a friend that does this and it hasn't hurt a thing....

Congrats on your new chicks!

Sharon

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Okay, my concern is if the other egg pips then, it's much worse to open the incubator, right (due to shrink-wrapping)? Since these ones hatched on day 19..it could be awhile for the last one, and the ones that did hatch will have to be removed by tomorrow (day 21). I'm guessing the last egg will hatch soon or not at all since all the others hatched in a 24-hour period. (Including three that I gave to my broody in the coop).

I have a Brinsea Eco 20 and it is really great at getting the temp back up..I'm guessing it does the same for humidity too? I just don't monitor that as closely.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by