Can I take the chicks away after my broody hatches them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmy33chicks, Nov 17, 2011.

1. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    I have a broody japanese bantam.
    I volunteered to take in chicks in december from someone hatching them for a science fair project.
    i wanted to put 6 silkie mix eggs under my broody since i will have the brooder set up in the house anyway.
    is it okay to take the chicks away from my hen as soon as they hatch and dry off?
    i have a large mixed flock and dont want the chicks getting picked on.

2. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    I had to do that once and everybody was fine. I would have preferred to leave them in the coop with everyone though. The mother hens are very protective though so I don't think I'd worry about the chicks getting picked on... but it's a possibility I suppose.

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    no they are hers she will protect them if shes a good mother let her have them

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i had to do that in my most recent hatch. it was a broody i had't discovered until most of her eggs were about 2 weeks in, but others only a few days to a week in, so the hatch was very staggered. when the first chick was up and about i put the eggs under a different hen and every time one hatched i'd take it out and put it with the first broody over the course of about a week and a half. neither broody seemed to really notice except to squawk for a bit after. of course the broody herself could also be moved to a seperate pen with her chicks if you don't mind seperating the broody from the flock. having a hen to protect them when you reintroduce them to the flock always helps.

5. luvmy33chicks

luvmy33chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Long Island
    thanks everyone i will seperate her in the area in my coop if i decide to let her hatch chicks

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I let my broody BO hatch her stash of eggs; then took the chicks as they hatched. We have lots of hawks and coyotes so I brood the chicks. THe Bo deserted the eggs that didn't hatch and went back to the coop to live. No problems there.

I have another broody who I finally gave eggs, in hopes she would get over it when the chicks hatch. [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You could~ but you are giving up on the ease and success of a broody mom doing what she can do way better than you can accomplish it~keeping those chicks at exactly the right temperature, nurturing them as a chicken mom would do and teaching them how to forage for food. Why would you want to do that when you could just create a seperate area for them for a few weeks, in view of the rest of the flock, and then integrate them when the chicks are bigger and more agile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by