Can I take the heat lamp away?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kharmel, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I have two chicks that are approx 3 weeks old. One a Polish is about 2/3 feathered but the Bantam Cochin just has some leg and wing feathers. The heat lamp is pointed to only one corner of the cage and they are inside the house which is around 72 degrees. Last night the Polish was panting and sleeping with it's wings away from her body I could tell she was too hot so I moved the light so it was barely reaching the corner of the cage. My question is, will the Cochin be warm enough if I turn out the light?

Also, I think the Cochin is a roo, he came out of the straight run bin. Any confirmations? Thought I should add, his comb is pink.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    He looks roo-ish, and yes if he is inside and with another chick, he should stay plenty warm.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    No - I'd keep the lamp. Just in case. At three weeks old you can be turning

the lamp off during the day, but they still need it at night. If they're panting

at night try a lower wattage bulb, but don't take the lamp completely away.

ScissorChick

4. Michie

Michie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have a 4 week old black cochin, and BCM, I have been turning off the lamp in the day, and turning it on when the sun goes down because the cochin(i think its a girl-no comb yet) always appears cold! As soon as I turn it on, she (hopefully lol) runs right under it. The Maran(boy [​IMG] ) however never sits under it, but appears fully feathered, and they hatched on the same day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by