Can I take them outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheryl34, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Cheryl34

Cheryl34 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    Hi! I have 3 buff orpington chicks that are 9 days old today. It's about 85 degrees here in IL today and I was hoping to let them out for some fresh air. I have a pen thing to put them in. I just thought they might want to feel the grass on their little feet. Do you think it's okay?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Absolutely! If momma hen had hatched them and it was a nice sunny day, they would be out for a nice day in the grass. Make sure they have plenty of shade and water. Bring out their food bowl also to give them some familiarity.

Keep it short on the first few field trips till they get used to the out of doors. Enjoy your new babies! [​IMG]

3. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    It seems like the temp would be okay, but I would worry about the wind.

4. Cheryl34

Cheryl34 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    There's just a slight breeze. Do you think they'll catch a chill? Never did I think I'd spend so much time worrying about chickens!

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Here in New Mexico the wind NEVER stops blowing. When I take my babies out for the first time each year, they sometimes will sneeze a bit from the wind, but they will stop the moment they get back in the brooder. It won't hurt 9 day olds.

As I mentioned, if momma hen had babies, they would be naturally living out of doors anyway. Just keep it short for today, maybe 15 mins and they will love you forever! [​IMG]

6. Cheryl34

Cheryl34 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    Thanks so much! Now I just have to put my kids down for a nap so I can play with my chicks!!

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Make sure to keep an eye on them at all times and in an area that no predators from the skies or dogs from below can get them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. Nhiawa

Nhiawa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by