Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
big_smile.png
Hi, I just got 2 lil baby guinea fowl
woot.gif
, and i was thinking that it would be nice if they were tame like a pet
thumbsup.gif
so can guinea fowl become tame like a chicken

With one only, it might be possible. A lot depends on the nature of the individual bird and how much time you are willing to spend with them. With two, they will most likely stick together and be 'guineas' instead of 'pets'. Still, spend lots of time holding them and petting them while they are small; they grow fast and will be just about full size in 4 months. Even if they aren't as tame as you hope, they are great additions to a family. So much fun to watch...

Hold them a lot and talk to them. Ours were real friendly until we let them free range. Then they were a little aloof. After they matured some more they are back to being friendly. Crazy birds.
lol.png

Mine would eat out my hand and stand on my lap, but they never really liked to be touched or petted. They would come when I called them and roosted in the tree in front of the house.

One by one, something happened to the hens and the 'boys' moved two streets down to find girlfriends. I was disappointed that my pets left me, but they have blessed the neighborhood with several batches of babies. They still come by to say hi every once in a while. Silly guineas...

here are a couple pics of my current keets- one is crippled so he won't ever free range, so he and his buddy live in a cage in the living room, come spring they will have an enclosed run and coop- i think with these two, they are accustomed to people walking around, then today as i was massaging scooters leg, i let lightning out at the same time, he will come over to investigate, and now will sit in my lap- but i let him decide what he will do- this evening he hopped on my shoulder to watch scooter- i never really have them out very long, but i do this frequently sitting on the floor with them, 4 or 5 times a day

24037_100_1658sm.jpg

24037_100_1665sm.jpg

24037_100_1663sm.jpg

he is actually sitting on my lap- like it is normal for guineas
24037_100_1660sm.jpg

I had some bantams in the house as pets for a year and chicken diapers would most likely work on guineas too but I'm not sure I could survive a house guinea. The parakeets are loud enough. Maybe until they got past the peeping stage which should be plenty of time to tame them if they are loose a lot and fed plenty of treats. I also found I get much tamer birds if the chicks are allowed to run out of food and water before it's refilled. Of course you don't want them to run out for long but even just once daily had much better results than using a large feeder that wouldn't run out for a couple days or filling it well before it ran out. They realize then that you bring food and water and the chicks who were allowed to run out of food were the ones that grew up to follow us around even if they were never handled growing up. The ones I handled constantly but never allowed to run out of food were actually the ones that wanted nothing to do with people when they got moved out of the brooder. I'm sure the same applies to guineas to at least some extent.

I hatch all of my own guineas and don't spend alot of time with them other than normal feed and water. When they are 9-10 weeks when I let them out of a pen for good, they are always pretty tame. They won't let me hold them but they come running whenever they see me and a few will eat from my hand. This batch from this year have also become friends with my 5 month old Pyrneese pup.

i am finding an interesting thing with my 'house' guineas- since they are in the living room in an aviary, they get lots of human contact- they are socialized with people, and they are not afraid or flighty- so my guess at this point is, treated like any other house bird aka parrots, it is possible, not my preference, but since one can't walk, but hops, i am trying to help them have an interesting life-

I got some keets back in the first of June, lost 5 still have 5 of them. At first they were very very wild, but when they got older they would eat out of my hand and would jump into my lap or roost on my legs if I sat down in the yard. I once had a lavender keet named Mary and that was "THE" sweetest guinea I've ever had in my life!
love.gif
and What happens ... she gets out and goes under the house and .....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Yes .. they can be tamed.

i just for 12 guineas. Had to drive 4 hours to find them. Want to know how you hatch them. I understand they don't like to go into coops and leave their eggs everywhere. At what age to they get to go outside? With 30 other hens, I have tons of bugs this year.

JodyB

Back
Top Bottom