Can I teach older chickens to roost?

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
I have four hens that are 1.5 years old and they have always slept in a pile in the corner. I have eight 4 month old pullets that always sleep on the roost that I added a couple months ago. Do you think I could get the older girls to roost if I continue to place them up there night after night or are their habits be so ingrained at this age that they are unlikely to accept the roost? It certainly does make the clean up easier with the roost and dropping board set up. If ayone has had luck getting mature hens to roost, I would love to hear how you did it. Thanks!!!

Right now I am having to do that with my 7 month olds. We recently added on to our coop and made new roosts. I added 3 17 week old barred rocks in there that had always slept on a tote they took right to the roost but my 7 month old reds are being a litle more stubborn. so ever night I put them on the roost. They stay there. Hoping they get the hang of it soon. Seems like a few are. Last night 3 of the girls hopped right on the other 5 tried to go where the old roost was and get on the nest boxes or the ledge. In time they will get it.

If you keep putting them up on the roosts every night they should get the hang of it before long. I wish you the best!

Thanks for the encouragement! The funny thing with this is that I never tried to get them to roost before because there was one silkie that I did not want to be left alone. I got two more silkies to keep her company with the intention of getting the older ones to roost but the new silkies have been roosting with the rest of the new group
idunno.gif
I don't know how they get up on the roost, but I will have to build something that makes it easy for all of them.

Back
Top Bottom