Can I tell this early?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 13, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I have 4 little fuzz butts I hatched in an incubator about a week ago. I ended up with 1 FBCM, 1 BLCM, 1 CM and 1 Blue Orpington.

Now at 1 week the FBCM and the CM have big combs. The BLCM and BLO, not so much. I'm thinking I have a split in the sexes with the FBCM and CM being roos. I'll try to take picts tomorrow. Can you really tell this early? It's fine if I have one or two roos, I just would like to plan.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sometimes I can [​IMG]
    Post some pictures and I might be able to help ya out! [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
  4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    It's too late now, but in the first few days you can check their wings (stadards only) and tell sex that way.

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Yeah, I know that. But I think I know what they are.

Here are day-old picts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:This can work on any breeding IF and ONLY if the father was a slow feathering bird and the moms are fast feathering. Most hatchery standards are bred this way enough that many roosters and hens follow this feather growth pattern.

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:This can work on any breeding IF and ONLY if the father was a slow feathering bird and the moms are fast feathering. Most hatchery standards are bred this way enough that many roosters and hens follow this feather growth pattern.

I always heard it is for all standards... that genetically all roosters feather slower then the girls.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most but not all do. Reason most do is becuase most chickens are from hatchery stocks and they have selectively bred for this trait for decades. Kind of how they have selectively bred the cornish x meat bird to mature so fast. No modern genetic engineering or crazy hormone stuff, pure selection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by