1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I tell you a secret? But don't tell my family!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Jan 5, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    As you can tell by my screen name, I'm a writer. Over the past couple of years I haven't written a lot, I haven't felt like it, and I've been very down about it. But I've so enjoyed reading and posting on here and it's given me a push, and reminded me why I love to write. So I decided to write every day of the year, in a creative writing journal, using writing prompts to make me write about things I might not have written about if left to my own devices. I pulled out my Creative Writer's Kit by Judy Reeves and I'm using her prompts and writing to them. I'm enjoying it! I don't have to worry about my editors tearing it apart, or my readers getting upset with my views, and I don't have to submit it anywhere, in whole, in part, or with a query, or beg anyone to buy it. And I like it! But I can't tell anyone here, because they get excited, OMG she's writing again!! For who? When will it be out??

It's funny how this forum has given me back something I love, just by allowing me to write my own opinions, or make someone laugh with my words. I just can't thank you enough.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I seriously can't believe I had anything to do with that but YOU GO GIRL!!!!!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I wake up every morning thinking about feeding my animals....and while i am taking the dogs out to potty and getting the feed cups ready for the birds, I turn on my computer and immediatly click to go to BYC....just to see if any of my pals have written, or if anything interesting is going on my favorite forums on here so i can completley see why this has given you a new sense of what you like to do.

I've slowly gotten back into my art because of this site, as well as inspired me to get MORE birds!!! LOL!

Sounds wonderful! Im glad it (writing & being here) gives you so much joy! I second that!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Go for it! And good luck to you!!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hey stranger! Glad you are returning to writing as recreation. I always look for you, since you have an active imagination and a dry/wry sense of humor.

I really enjoy your off-the-cuff stories- like Nugget and poor Blue. How is little Blue, anyway?

I have a tiny bantam G. Sebright, Pico de Gallo. He is the meanest little roo ever born. I am terrified of him, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

You write, and if you post it here, I will read. What is a "prompt"?

And PS, I won't tell anyone here at BYC!

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you all. A prompt is something to get you started. For example: Write about what happened at lunch today.
    When you get writer's block it's awful, you want to write so bad but just can't get the words out, so you turn to a prompt to get your brain working and thinking like a writer.

7. debilorrah

This site is my creative writing outlet. I have always wanted to write a book about my young life because it was so traumatic, but I can't put the pieces in order. Every time I think I have it right, something falls out of place.

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Write it anyway, then when the pieces fall out put them where they go. Sometimes it will never be perfect, it seldom is. But the very act of getting it down can be cathartic, and it can also help others to read it.

9. debilorrah

Quote:Write it anyway, then when the pieces fall out put them where they go. Sometimes it will never be perfect, it seldom is. But the very act of getting it down can be cathartic, and it can also help others to read it.

The catartsis is done, it's the helping others I would be interested in. I guess I need to start at the beginning and just go.....

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    forget about writing, you should take up photography. The best photo ever posted on this forum is the one of your mom ditching the chicken from off her lap! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by