Can I tell?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Can I tell if an egg is fertile the day it is layed? Thanks everyone.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Only if you break it and look for the bullseye - do a search for "fertile eggs bullseye". Externally or when candled a fertile egg looks no different than a non fertile egg - that is unless it has been incubated for several days.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Thqnks!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    incubate it for 3-5 days then candle.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Is it Fertile or Infertile?

To check the fertility, simply break an egg in a bowl. Find the white spot on the yolk. If you do not, use a spoon to gently flip the yolk over until you find it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If the egg is fertile, the white mark will be nearly perfectly round and in the center it will be yellow;
    it will resemble a donut. If it is infertile, the white mark will not be very round, and in most cases, smaller than that of the fertile mark. If the egg is not fertile, the 'white mark' is called a "blastodisc". If the egg is fertile, the 'white mark' it is called a "blastoderm", and this means that cell division, because of fertilization, occurred.
    A link with more pics of fertile vs Non Eggs! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by