Can I transform this dog run to a coop/run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HeatherGrill, Mar 7, 2014.

1. HeatherGrill

HeatherGrill New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    We bought our current house about a year ago and it had this pre-existing fenced area with what appeared to be a dog run. While we don't have chickens yet I was wondering if any of you think I could transform this shelter into a coop and possibly use the fenced area as a temporary run. I know there is a lot of work to do here but the structure is solid and is on a full deck that is above ground and mostly dry. I was hoping maybe some of you could look at this and give me some suggestions, advice or tell me to trash the whole thing and start over fresh?

Any and all comments are welcome!

TIA! Heather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. henryholub

henryholub Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Altus
    Oh most definitely! Having a decent portion of the work already done for you is certainly nice. It looks as if you'll have to take some precautions when it comes to predator-proofing. I'd recommend lining the inside of the fence with welded wire or chicken wire. It'll take some work and a little creativity on your part, but you could very well have a chicken mansion by the end.

3. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Absolutely you could use it, but if I may point out a few things: As suggested above, you would need to put welded wire around the wooden fence, however you may find out you don't like crawling on your knees to enter the run, unless you don't plan to cover the top. Chickens will hop the 3 foot fence no problem and predators will get in as well.

I saw a chain link fence in the background that looked to be 6 foot high? If so, I would look for a used chain link dog kennel with 6 foot panels and add to your existing fence. That will allow you stand up and enter the run without bending over. You can add welded wire about 3 foot up all the way around the chain link for protection, throw some poultry netting over the roof for aerial protection as well.

4. henryholub

Feb 5, 2012
    Altus
    Good catch Tac. You could add an 8 post in each of the two corners by the gate, and then run chicken wire or poultry netting over and around from it to the coop. You could also scrap the current fence and do something different in its place. I'll attach a picture of the coop I'm in the process of building. I use 2x4's to make "panels" the height and length I need (in my current case 4 foot x 8 foot, but you could make it any height you wanted), and then put welded wire on each individual panel. It makes it very easy should I ever need to move, reconfigure, or add on to a coop. They're not terribly expensive, are super easy to build, and once the panels are bolted together, they're quite strong. Its essentially an 8 ft long rectangle with a support beam in the middle. You could even salvage some lumber from the current fence to keep the cost lower.

A tractor supply, atwoods, lowes, home depot, or something along those lines will typically have 10x10 6 ft tall dog kennel kit for around $150. You could get rid of the current fencing and use that as a replacement either by surrounding the coop, or by securing it in some fashion to the front of the coop and cutting a small hole in the chain link for them to go in and out through. I did something similar to that when I was raising a few more birds that weren;t quite ready to be added to the flock. My dogs are still a little bitter they got kicked out of their home, but it worked great. A tarp over the top works great as a cover, but you could use chicken wire, poultry netting, a full-blown canvas tarp, anything really to do the job.

[​IMG]

(What you see here is actually two sides and the door area of what will be an 8x6 run. The coop is not seen in the picture, but will go on the end closest to me. Going to have a pitched roof, which is why the doorway is taller than everything else you see. There are two of the panels I mentioned in this photo, running parallel to each other in this photo. It'll all be screwed or bolted together in the end.)

5. HeatherGrill

HeatherGrill New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your input!!! Henry your run looks great! What size door are you putting on? Would love to see this when your done...along with your coop too!!!

6. henryholub

Feb 5, 2012
    Altus
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I'm building a simple screen door out of lumber and wire to go on it. The door is 2 feet wide and is only going to be 5 feet tall, so its a small duck in and out, but the center beam is 6 feet, so there's room for me to move around inside with headspace. I've had really spartan coops in the past and I decided to spend a little tax refund money and dress this one up a bit and make it as nice as I could justify. If the weather would get warm enough again for me to finish painting, I'd get it together and going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by