can i treat cocci with terramycin?

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
i have some chicks that are 4 weeks old. they havent been outside but im seeing blood in ther droppings today. one is a little lathargic. the only thing i have at the house is wazzaine(sp) and terramycin. the only feed store i have here is TSC. i dont know if they have sulment. can i start them with terra. untill i can find sulment?
how did they get cocci? i hatched them at home in a bator. they havent beem outside of the brooder but they are in the grage.

if it is cocci, you need to use amprolium, which is usually sold under the brand name corid. i don't believe the terramyacin will help with that at all. and sulmet is not reported to be very effective for cocci. (from what i've heard). my experience is with corid, and it worked immediately and very well. my chicks were four weeks when they came down with cocci, but they were outside at the time.

i'm not an expert, so i'm not sure how they would've contracted cocci if they haven't been outside yet.

some might recommend the powdered milk therapy at this point.

good luck!

beth

Are you sure its blood? Could they have eaten something that made their droppings red?

Coccidiosis is a protozoan, not a bacteria, so antibiotics (like terramycin) will not help.

You have to get a coccidiostat which is a drug that will block thiamin in the bird's system. Thiamin is what the protozoan, coccidia thrives on. As they multiply in the birds' intestines they rob the birds of all of the nutrients the birds need to grow and to stay healthy.

The drug needed is sold either as Sulmet or Amprol (sometimes you see it labeled as Amprolium). It's added to the drinking water.

For cocci: Amprol in the drinking water for 5 to 7 days at the rate of 1 Teaspoon per Gallon of water.

If you want to go a more natural approach.....

Give a hefty dose of cayenne pepper: 1/2 tsp pepper to each 1/2 cup of feed. Moisten it with buttermilk or yogurt if you have some. If not, user water with a tsp of cider vinegar. Keep them on this for several weeks if they improve. If any get worse you will need to get medicated feed or corid to give them.

Also, Carla (Allen Wranch) posted this last year (I think) about treating cocci.
Talked to my contact who uses powdered milk as a coccidiostat. She said to mix about 50/50 with the feed. She hasn't had any cocci since using it. The milk also adds a little extra protein. - Carla​

For cocci: Amprol in the drinking water for 5 to 7 days at the rate of 1 Teaspoon per Gallon of water.

I used this guide , which recommends more like a tablespoon per gallon - dosage for five day treatment.

I can't say which is correct, but this worked like a charm for me.​

if you were in my area, i'd tell you to just come over and get some of my corid.
smile.png

good luck!

Use Corid first. Sulmet will make the intestinal bleeding continue, plus it is not efffective against at least one of the nine forms of cocci, eimeria tenella. I have had limited success with Sulmet in the past, but Corid has been a lifesaver. It comes in 9.6% solution and I used 9 cc in a gallon waterer once a day. It is not an antibiotic, which really won't help cocci. And I have used milk products, yogurt, buttermilk, raw goat's milk and powdered nonfat milk,which also help.

Back
Top Bottom