can I trick my chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 6, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

we're at 26+ weeks, and still no eggs. We're only getting about 10 hours of sunlight here.. if I put a light in there for a few days, maybe a week, will it get them started? And will they keep going if I take the light away? I don't really believe in lighting, but I'm getting desperate!

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

chickensducks&agoose :

we're at 26+ weeks, and still no eggs. We're only getting about 10 hours of sunlight here.. if I put a light in there for a few days, maybe a week, will it get them started? And will they keep going if I take the light away? I don't really believe in lighting, but I'm getting desperate!

I'd put a light on with a timer that will add at least enough hours to equal a minimun of 14 hours based on December 21st, 2009. Then I'd leave it on until mid-March at least.​

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, adding a light and then taking it away will only mess up their cycle even more.
    Patience Grasshopper. Soon you should have more eggs than you know what to do with. [​IMG]

4. joebryant

Quote:I'd put a light on with a timer that will add at least enough hours morning and evening to equal a minimun of 14 hours based on December 21st, 2009. Then I'd leave it on until mid-March at least.

Here's your hours for Vermont on Dec. 21, 2009, your shortest day.

Dec 21, 2009 Sunrise 7:23 AM Sunset 4:14 PM (You might set your time for 5:30 - 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 to 7:30 P.M.
    Doing that your chickens would have light from 5:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=164&month=12&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-1&day=1

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I appreciate your reply, but SERIOUSLY?!?! less than 9 hours of daylight!?! I might as well live in alaska! I am abandoning my chickens and moving to florida. Somehow it doesn't seem that bad until you see it written out.

*melts into a hibernating state*

6. joebryant

chickensducks&agoose :

I appreciate your reply, but SERIOUSLY?!?! less than 9 hours of daylight!?! I might as well live in alaska! I am abandoning my chickens and moving to florida. Somehow it doesn't seem that bad until you see it written out.

*melts into a hibernating state*

Huh? 5:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. would be 14 hours.​

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I am guessing she means that she only gets 9 hours of daylight where she lives, 7:23 am to 4:14 pm.

8. cowpunkmom

cowpunkmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    I live in Alberta, and am getting less sunlight every day. I'm at about 10 hours now, but it will be substantially less before it get longer again! So far, my 3 girls are laying happily without a care about anything. I am learning that patience is important with girls. If they are getting enough water and healthy food, the eggs will come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by