can I trick my chickens?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
we're at 26+ weeks, and still no eggs. We're only getting about 10 hours of sunlight here.. if I put a light in there for a few days, maybe a week, will it get them started? And will they keep going if I take the light away? I don't really believe in lighting, but I'm getting desperate!

chickensducks&agoose :

we're at 26+ weeks, and still no eggs. We're only getting about 10 hours of sunlight here.. if I put a light in there for a few days, maybe a week, will it get them started? And will they keep going if I take the light away? I don't really believe in lighting, but I'm getting desperate!

I'd put a light on with a timer that will add at least enough hours to equal a minimun of 14 hours based on December 21st, 2009. Then I'd leave it on until mid-March at least.​

IMO, adding a light and then taking it away will only mess up their cycle even more.
Patience Grasshopper. Soon you should have more eggs than you know what to do with.
wink.png

Quote:
I'd put a light on with a timer that will add at least enough hours morning and evening to equal a minimun of 14 hours based on December 21st, 2009. Then I'd leave it on until mid-March at least.

Here's your hours for Vermont on Dec. 21, 2009, your shortest day.

Dec 21, 2009 Sunrise 7:23 AM Sunset 4:14 PM (You might set your time for 5:30 - 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 to 7:30 P.M.
Doing that your chickens would have light from 5:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=164&month=12&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-1&day=1

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply, but SERIOUSLY?!?! less than 9 hours of daylight!?! I might as well live in alaska! I am abandoning my chickens and moving to florida. Somehow it doesn't seem that bad until you see it written out.

*melts into a hibernating state*

chickensducks&agoose :

I appreciate your reply, but SERIOUSLY?!?! less than 9 hours of daylight!?! I might as well live in alaska! I am abandoning my chickens and moving to florida. Somehow it doesn't seem that bad until you see it written out.

*melts into a hibernating state*

Huh? 5:30 A.M. to 7:30 P.M. would be 14 hours.​

I live in Alberta, and am getting less sunlight every day. I'm at about 10 hours now, but it will be substantially less before it get longer again! So far, my 3 girls are laying happily without a care about anything. I am learning that patience is important with girls. If they are getting enough water and healthy food, the eggs will come.

Back
Top Bottom