Can I "trick" my hens into sitting on some eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BenAnnaMama, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    I'm moving to some property and finally get to have a real flock of chickens! I started with four and am down to two. I'd like to have at least 8-10 when I get settled. I also want to hatch eggs. I was thinking I could collect my eggs that my hens give me everyday and replace them with a fertile egg. I'm trying to trick them into setting some eggs! Do you think it will work? I'd rather not use an incubator after some bad luck I had with my first and last attempt. Has anyone ever tricked their hens like this?

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I don't think you can "trick" a hen into broodiness. You can try to help encourage broodiness by leaving some eggs in the nest. (golf balls or wooden eggs work, too.) What breeds do you have? Some are more prone to broodiness while others practically never go broody.

3. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    I have a RIR and an Ameraucana. I figured if I let them stockpile "their" eggs they would get the hint and sit on them after a while! We'll see!

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Worth a shot. :) I don't know much about Ameraucana. RIR's most people say never go broody, but I just got off the phone with my grandma and she says her's looks like it might be headed that direction. She's been raising poultry on and off for years with broody hens so she would know the signs.
    Good luck with your girls. I hope they hatch out some fuzz balls for you!

5. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Agreed,its worth a shot and I also hope you hatch out some chicks!Let us know if it works!

6. BenAnnaMama

Mar 25, 2011
    I put sOme golf balls in the other day and yesterday there were no eggs to collect. I'll let you know if it works!:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by