1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I trim my cockerel's broken wing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by j1koo, Feb 17, 2015.

1. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    One of my cockerel's broke his wing, no idea how. Tried to tie it up at the time, but he pecked at it until it came off. He's actually quite happy after a couple of weeks recuperation but the broken wing drags slightly on the floor. Could I trim the bottom bits that he trips over?

He's got so used to being in the house in a cage at night, that he now wonders into the house during the day - he thinks he's part of the family lol
    [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes you can trim up his feathers. If you take his wing and spread it out, you will see there are 2 layers of feathers on the wing. The top, shorter feathers do not get cut. The long (flight) feathers you can trim back a few inches. Just don't cut into the quick of his feathers. You may want to check on youtube 1st to see how to properly trim them. I use a pair of regular scissors. Good luck with your rooster. He is beautiful. Is he a light Sussex?

3. j1koo

j1koo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Spain
    Thanks for that. Yes, he is a Light Sussex - looking a bit bedraggled at the moment, but he's lovely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by