Can I trim my silkies top knot?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ol'FashionHen, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I have seen pics of silkies and their top knots have been trimmed around their eyes, is it okay or should I say not painful just like a haircut for us to trim their top knots so they can actually see, or should I just leave em' alone [​IMG].

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I have always trimmed so they can see. I think it makes their life soo much easier. Same with Polish. Of course, I don't think you can do that if you're going to show them but otherwise...

3. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Ol'FashionHen :

I have seen pics of silkies and their top knots have been trimmed around their eyes, is it okay or should I say not painful just like a haircut for us to trim their top knots so they can actually see, or should I just leave em' alone [​IMG].

I do, again so they can see. Some people pluck the feathers around the eye that are blocking their sight. I can't do it cause it sounds painful, like when I have my eyebrows done lOL!!!
    I just trimmed one of my girls and she seems much happier! Info can be found on blue egg brown egg (I think thats the site)​

4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Great, and no I don't show my silkies , their for my own backyard view [​IMG]
    Oh the plucking NOOO!!!! I could'nt do that either Beth [​IMG], Of course I'm used to tweezing my own eyebrows, wish I did'nt have to though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by