1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I trust it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kikidee, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I went to my local feed store and I asked for starter mash for my ducks. I asked if it was unmedicated and they said they didn't know, but it was the only one they had and that everyone who came used it. I bought it, but I'm afraid to feed it to my ducklings now (they aren't born yet, 5 days till hatch date). So should I use it? Is there some say to figure out if it is medicated or not? It just came in a big brown bag that says Starter Mash haha, this place is a little family owned store.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I assume if it were medicated, it would be medicated with the same stuff chick starter is medicated with. Just look on the ingredients list for Amprolium.

3. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:Damn... I don't want it to be medicated.. [​IMG] And it doesn't have an ingredients list its just a paper bag!! [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Ask to see the big bag they are breaking down into little bags. I ran into this same situation many years ago, I had to really persist politely before I finally found the one person who knew which bag it came from.

Look around for a feed store that has the 50 lb. bags for sale, it will save you money in the long run. AND there will be a tag sewn into the bottom seam that lists the ingredients.

Hope you have a great hatch! [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Exactly!

6. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    My ducks have eaten medicated chick feed since I got them at 2 wks old.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. The amprollium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa.

8. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    idk so many people have told me that medicated is only given to ducks and chickens used for meat, mine are for pets.

9. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:You dont have to use it. But its a good thing to use it.but its a good choice to. it helps build up protection from cocci and other things. its not like the birds know its medicated. They wont care. I would say give it to them.[​IMG]

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    oh and for the meat bird part, its used for them because if a factory looses 500 meat birds to cocci, it would be devastating to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by