Can I tube feed to help chicken gain weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RobynD, Nov 5, 2013.

1. RobynD

RobynD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    This chicken was sick for 2 weeks and I tube fed for 1 week. She's almost normal, back in with the flock, but I have yet to see her eat. (Never figured out what was wrong with her). I have seen her drink today. I'm sure she's eating but she's so skinny (1.5 pounds @ 4-5 months old) that I thought I'd continue tube feeding her to help her gain weight, feeding 1-3 times a day. Any thoughts against this? It also helps me feel assured that she has some food in her crop when she goes to bed.

2. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    She will eat the dry crumbles I put out if I put her in a cage with it, and goes crazy over the scratch. But their main food is fermented feed and I haven't seen her near it.

3. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    You said she was sick 2 weeks ago, what was wrong with her then? Symptoms? Was she thin then or is she just now getting thinner?

4. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    I don't know what she had. I was told she had symptoms of starvation, collar bone protruding, very light weight, lethargic, wings drooping. She quit pooping at night, during the day it was bright green. Her stools are now solid and brown, but I've been tube feeding her at least 3 times a day. I can feel her crop get slightly full when I do this. I'm only giving her 30 cc's at a time. I'm afraid to give her more as I don't want to make her vomit and aspirate it.

She has always been a slight bird as she is a phoenix and only about 4 months old. After this episode though she holds her neck to one side and it's very obvious. She still doesn't seem to be able to shake her head and feathers out, almost like she has a headache and shaking hurts her head or makes her dizzy. She is running for treats though!!

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Corn is good for helping them gain weight. If you are thinking of tube feeding her to overcome her dislike of FF, its not a good idea. Just try giving her dry feed until she's in better condition. I also feed FF, and leave crumbles out for anyone who is hungry after they chow on the fermented. Most of mine won't eat the dry until they have to. Do you have anywhere you could put her and a friend until she's in better condition? Less competition might be needed.

6. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    Hi Trefoil,

She always ate the FF. And I'm not tube feeding her that...didn't even think of that....but I might just whirl that in the blender! I just don't see her eating unless I throw in scratch. But I will put in 2 feed bowls so maybe she'll feel okay to eat out of at least one if it's a competition thing. I never saw her have any issues before. Thanks for your input!!! Much appreciated!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It sounds like you can weigh her, which is what I would do and if she doesn't put on weight I would continue tubing.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by