Can I tuck my chicks under a broody hen??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EggGardener, Mar 15, 2009.

1. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    On Friday, we got three americauna/easter egger chicks. They've been in a brooder in our bathtub and I was getting ready to move them to the garage on Monday. One of our 2-year-old hens has been sitting on eggs since last night, and wouldn't come out to roam when I opened the door this morning. Usually, I just lift her off the eggs and put out some treats and she forgets all about it.
    But I've heard of people tucking chicks under a broody hen and letting the hen foster them. Is this true? How successful is it? And are there any special considerations/instructions?
    It would be great if the chicks could be raised with the other 4 hens we have....any tips, advice would be helpful!!!

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I've done it before. However, for best results, the chicks need to be no more than 3-4 days old for them to accept the mother. Also, for the mother hen to be "ready" and receptive to accepting chicks, she needs to have been sitting [probably] at least TWO weeks, no less. You need to also put them under her at night.

In my case, the hen had been sitting on golf balls for 3 weeks and I hatched the chicks in the incubator and while they were hours old and under cover of darkness, I put them under her.

3. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I tried it twice both times with a cochin. It did not work. The hen attacked the chicks both time. I was told to add the chicks at night, but it still did not work. Another lady said that the chicks have to be no more then a few days old. I tried newly hatched chicks only a few hours old, also with no luck.

4. EggGardener

EggGardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Thanks! I think I will stick w/the brooder. Its cold and rainy here, and I'd rather just stick with what has worked for us so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by