Can I turn off the heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BYOChickens, Apr 9, 2011.

1. BYOChickens

BYOChickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2010
    My girls are 3-4 weeks old now and are feathering out. I have them in a 50 gallon tub and in my den out back. No heat in the den but fully insulated dwelling. My question is can I turn off the heat lamp? I have been raising the height of the lamp each week and the girls seem fine. Can I remove the heat source yet? They are growing fine. At what age should I move them to the outside coop? We have our temps getting down to the 40's-50's at night and the days 60-70's. I don't have a heat source hooked up in the coop. Anyways, the girls seem like they will soon outgrow their current quarters and need to think about the move. Any thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, they're outgrowing their tub. Make plans now for where they are headed. If you can string a heavy duty extension cord, you can give them heat adequate, even in a garage, coop or barn. They only need heat another 10-12 days, then you won't even need to provide that.

Plus, the days are getting warmer, as spring takes hold.

So, yes, they still need some heat. 75-80 degrees is plenty. But they still need that for another 10-12 days. Then done.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. smallcitychick

smallcitychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Central Washington
    At 3-4 weeks old they still need it to be about 80-75 degrees in their brooder. I wouldn't leave them outside in the coop if they aren't fully feathered yet.

4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    At that age mine had a heat lamp at night and during the day they spent outside in 50-60 degree weather with their heatlamp nearby if they wanted it. They never chose to use it on sunny days. By 5-6 weeks I moved them outside where I kept the heatlamp on over night for one week by then they were all but fully feathered.

5. chicklovers

chicklovers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    They will be just fine in a coop now... Provide a heat lamp for cooler nights for another week or so! Then they will be fine.
    Move those babies out....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by