Can I turn the light off yet?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kaitie09, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    My cornish x are 5 weeks old. All of them are fully feathered except for their butts. I turn the light if during the day, but am wondering about night now. It drops down to about 30 degrees here at night on average.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They don't need it anymore. Typically you can remove it at 3 weeks or sooner if the weather is warm.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Mine are 4 1/2wks old and i still have a heat lamp on them at night.. It drops down into the 20's some nights so i plan on leaving it on them until close to processing or when i notice that they don't need it. They still huddle together under it at night so i know it is just too cold to take it away.. If you think they still need it by all means keep it on them.. I look at it like I would rather the food be converted to meat than fuel to keep them warm..

4. Recon

Recon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    They'll gain weight faster with the light on, but some people feel that increases the mortality. I've tried it both ways and I can't really see a direct link to increased mortality from the light. I can, however, see a direct link to lower weights at butchering when I don't have a light for them though.

You probably haven't needed a light for a long time.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by