Can I use a Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate as a hen house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MrPaw, Oct 18, 2019.

1. MrPaw

MrPaw Chirping

Mar 21, 2019
    Washington, North Carolina
    Can I use a Double Door Metal Dog Crate as a hen house? I am basing this question on my old coop which was basically an elevated, three sided, partly enclosed, roofed, open floor design. With this in mind, and wanting a sturdier, non-wood coop, I was thinking a Double Door Metal Dog Crate with three sides partialy covered and top covered, would work. The broad side would open to the run and the narrow end could be for cleanout. I am in zone 8 for reference, and my old coop held 3 RIR and 3 Leghorns, with very little coverage on the sides. They never had a problem during the winters. This new coop will hold about 4 - 6 bantams separate from my existing 8 standards hens.

2. doublecrossranch

doublecrossranch Songster

May 27, 2019
    Smithville, MO
    Do you have pictures?

ValerieJ likes this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Pictures would help so we can actually see what you're working with. Sounds very interesting...

4. MrPaw

MrPaw Chirping

Mar 21, 2019
  5. AviansLove

AviansLove Songster

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    If it is going to be outside then no, I had a tarp over mine and a raccoon grabbed 2 of my chickens out of it (the fencing or wires, whatever you call it was small to) and it was temporary, left them out only 1 night to in the cage.

6. MrPaw

MrPaw Chirping

Mar 21, 2019
    I'm sorry for the loss of your two girls. This coop will join up to a run that's inside a bigger run. This keeps my bantams in the flock but safe. My setup will not be near the enclosure, about 5 ft away and inside of a predator safe enclosure. I've had possum problems a few years ago. Learned my lesson.

7. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Seems to me if it meets the needs of the chickens, in space, ventilation and protection from weather and predators, then it doesn't really matter what it's made of. I use a dog crate inside a heated room in my garage when I have a sick chicken and as a brooder. They are actually quite versatile enclosures.

8. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    No need to say more good luck put in the other like hardware cloth around my dog crates

9. AsaDotJava

AsaDotJava Songster

Oct 7, 2019
    Northern California
    I use wire dog crates as houses for my cockerels/stag bantams... the best part is how easily you can just slip sticks in to create roosting space, and cover/uncover them depending on weather.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That article about crates is only meant for temporary confinement/isolation.

Not seeing your pics.

If enclosure is predator proof why do you need the crate?

Would need to be a pretty big crate to hold that many birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: