can I use a dusk to dawn automatic door for my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hadleylj, Feb 28, 2015.

1. hadleylj

hadleylj New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    I am hoping to get s few ducks in the near future. I have an old chicken house (we had to expand our henhouse) that we could convert for ducks, I think. We have trouble with night predators here so my chickens have the pullet-shut automatic door in the new henhouse. Will the ducks go into their house at night like the chickens do?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not sure they will reliably do that. My ducks had to be herded into their house at night at first. Nowadays, their night shelter is not adjacent to the day pen so I walk them in.

3. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I had the same idea. Still never did the automatic.

Mine were very easy to train to go into the greenhouse at night. I'll admit, they sometimes stay out late now. A few times they've tried sleeping outside but when they get scared they run to bed.

I think it's being teenagers. Staying up late, starting to experiment sexually, they get embarrassed if other birds see us together.

For the most part, they're usually in and out of bed sun to dusk. If you use a timer, I'd just keep a close eye on them when you're around. Make sure everything's good. Train them first. It took me only a few days

4. hadleylj

hadleylj New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will be getting my first ducks. I am thinking Kahki Campbells would be good to start with. Any other advise?

5. hadleylj

hadleylj New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by