Can I use a protein supplement that is meant for human consumption?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bfcerny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    I have a huge bucket of protein powder that I was using when I was lifting weights. It is a bananna flovored powder that goes in milk to make protein shakes. I don't like the flavor. Can I mix it in with my grains?

2. bfcerny

bfcerny Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    bump

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Not sure but I would be cautious. In small amounts I would think it should be OK but I would not supplement too much. Check the label, how much protein and also any vitamins, iron etc......the product contains. I do offer extra protein in addition to layer feed but have only used yogurt, cottage cheese, chopped up hard boiled eggs etc in small amounts as treats. I wpild be most concerned about some of the vitamins, iron and calcium in supplements meant for humans. Too much of some of them may not be OK for the chickens. Hope someone with more chicken nutrition knowledge will post!!

4. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Protein is an essential part of your chickens' feed requirements. Protein supplies crucial amino acids, and too little (or too much) protein is bad for your hens. Therefore, be sure to check that you're buying the right food for the type of chicken that you are raising. For example, layer hens do not need the same exorbitantly high levels of protein that growing chicks need.

5. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Probably has a lot of sugar in it, too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by