Can I use a Reptile Incubator Cabinet to Incubate Chicken Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam Username, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Just something I've often wondered. Whats the difference between the reptile and bird incubators? Its just I've seen a reptile one cheap and wondered if it would do just as well? [​IMG]

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Unless it is set automatically to a certian temp, it might be okay. I don't know much about incubators though. Hopefully someone else will help!! [​IMG]

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    As long as you have some way to control/read humidity and the temperature is adjustable to 101F (99.5 if it's ventilated)... it sould work

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I have a reptipro, it works fine for chicken eggs, even have two turners for it.

5. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Quote:Yep, this is the reptile incubator I'm in the process of getting & after a ton of research I feel pretty comfortable about it's ability to incubate bird eggs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I had the Accu-Temp 6000 Reptile Incubator - Digital Reptile Incubator and one month after the two year warranty expired it died - with eggs on a cold night! I replaced it with the Repti pro and have chicken eggs in it now and it seems really accurate. I can't wait to try it on my tortoise eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by