Can I use a standard broody for bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by helios, Jan 14, 2011.

1. helios

helios Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Bureau County, Illinois
    Maybe a silly question, but I'm trying to decide on a broody breed to complement the silver sebright bantams I'm ordering this spring. I'd prefer a bantam broody, but I'm ordering from MyPetChicken.com (because they sex bantams and I don't want the stress of culling extra roos).

So, are there any problems with a standard size broody hatching a bantam clutch? Do I need to worry about my bantam roo breeding the standard hen? Will I end up with chicks with tiny bodies and giant heads?!

The sebrights supposedly rarely go broody, so I thought I might be able to get around it easily with a broody hen.

Any thoughts? As of now, my ship date is already May 9th, so I'd like to order ASAP.

Thanks!

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    If you want a broody breed, then ones known for it I'd think would be better than Sebrights. There's nothing wrong with a hen hatching bantam eggs... but I'm not sure if they'd be bantam since the hen isn't. There's also nothing wrong with a standard roo breeding a standard hen, but that might be kind of, umm, hard.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I just spit my hot tea out as I was reading this. I wasn't expecting that description. [​IMG] I'm sorry but that was funny.

4. nancy/pets

nancy/pets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    I have used my barnyard hen as the Mama for my sebrights. She does very good at raising them also! I have had sebright hens set but never any hatching. They were very determined though.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:1. You still have about a 10% chance of getting cockerals when ordering pullets, be they bantam or standard size.
    2. A standard can certainly hatch out bantam eggs. And a bantam can hatch standard eggs!
    3. A bantam rooster will try. Whether he succeeds or not is a personality and tenacity determination issue.
    4. If you get fertilized eggs the parentage is ALREADY SET. If you end up with a bantam roo and a standard hen breeding there's no telling what you'll get. But it won't be a tiny body with a giant head.
    5. I would suggest you spend the time until the shipping date in the Learning Center of BYC, at the top of the page.

For a broody bantam I would suggest some bantam Cochins. They are cute as can be, good natured usually and great broodies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yes, a standard can hatch bantam eggs. And as it has been pointed out, bantams can hatch standards eggs. Believe it or not, I have 5 banty girls that hatch 85% of my standard eggs. They are my best broody girls. I place about 8-9 standard eggs under all of them and they hatch every single egg. They are excellent mothers and they go broody at least 3 times a year. They are responsible for hatching nearly my entire flock. I wouldn't trade them for the world. As far as breeding, I have a bantam rooster who you better not tell that he can't breed a standard hen. He will show you that he can at least try. The success rate of him actually doing it is questionable. I don't think he is "tall" enough but he gives them a run for their money. From my experience and this is just my 2 cents, my best broody hens are my banty hens. As long as I have chickens, I will always keep at least 5 banty hens in my flock for hatching eggs. I vote for Bantys for your broody hens.

This pic is of one of my banty girls who hatched 8 eggs. Just picture 5 brooders with this type of banty hen and this many baby chicks (3 times a year). Priceless![​IMG]

ETA: And hen the other standard hens kick out a chick that they don't want, I put the unwanted chick with the bantys and they welcome them with open wings. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although standard hens can effectively hatch bantam eggs there is always the possibility that a very large, clumsy hen might inadvertantly break them. Bantam standard crosses generally turn out to be mid sized birds. Why not include some bantam cochins or silkies in your order? In my experience they are among the best broodies. A also love game hens as broodies and they are very good at hatching bantam eggs and are incredibly protective mothers.

8. nancy/pets

nancy/pets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Mcveytown,PA
    [​IMG] A pic of Mrs. Molly although these were not her hatching, she sat on eggs for so long had to give her some babies. These babies were hatched form my barnyard hen![​IMG]

9. helios

helios Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Bureau County, Illinois
    Mrs. Molly is just too cute!

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only serious problem I've read about with different sizes is when a LF roo tries to mate a bantam hen.

Henderson's is pretty good about identifying broody breeds. The best ones are named here:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

My favorite broody was a Kraienkoppe, technically LF, but small, looking similar to a brown Leghorn. Very friendly birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by