Can I use an 18 gauge needle on a bantam rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InsaneBreeder, Nov 21, 2010.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I need to administer penicillin, and the lady at the feedstore said that I needed 18 gauge needles for penicillin, so I got them. When I was reading about how to administer it, the articles I was reading said to administer it using a 20 gauge needle or higher. So can I not use the 18 gauge needles? Do I need to get a higher gauge?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    you can use 18 gauge on bantams yes. Sometimes the thickness of the medicine forces you to use the large size needle. I know my LA-200 has to have 20 or less (larger)

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    The 18-gauge needle is huge, even for a human. I'm guessing you were told to use it because the penicillin is viscous and difficult to push through. I'm sorry, I have no experience injecting chickens and am having difficulty picturing the procedure. What is the reason for not giving an antibiotic orally?

4. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Well, as i see, 18 gauge is enough, don't worry.

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    It'll be fine. 18 gauge is not so huge and will be just fine. Trying to push a viscous med through a 22 gauge is worse.

6. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Thanks for all your advice!

SeaHen: I read that giving penicillin orally can have a detrimental impact on the bacteria in a bird's intestinal tract and that the injectable type is less harmful in that manner.

7. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Injectable anti-biotics can also wreak havoc with a bird's good bacteria. Start giving cultured yogurt to help balance the gut again. They'll think they're getting a treat [​IMG]

8. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:Injectable anti-biotics can also wreak havoc with a bird's good bacteria. Start giving cultured yogurt to help balance the gut again. They'll think they're getting a treat [​IMG]

Thanks for telling me. I will definitely give him some.

9. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township

Be prepaired for diarrhea. Chickens are incapable of digesting lactose, they lack the needed enzymes. Essentially, all chickens are lactose-intolerant, so very small amounts is the way to go.

10. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Be prepaired for diarrhea. Chickens are incapable of digesting lactose, they lack the needed enzymes. Essentially, all chickens are lactose-intolerant, so very small amounts is the way to go.

Yes, only small amounts for several days is plenty. I wouldn't give more than a teaspoon or so at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by