1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I use an air hose/compressor to remove the feathers/skin off a goose?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jfishfam, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jfishfam

jfishfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    A friend informed me that she has volunteered to get a couple of geese for us. But we don't really want geese and she suggested we butcher them. I'm game for that, but have no idea how. I know when we butcher chickens we prefer to slit the throats and let them bleed out, the meat ends up much cleaner. So, I think we'll try that, but I was wondering if we could use the air compressor under the skin to remove the feathers & skin like you can do with chickens? Any ideas?

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Air compressor to remove skin? I need to know more about that.

3. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    It's amazing. I saw somebody's post when I was trying to figure this question our about geese. Let me see if I can attach the link.[​IMG]

4. jfishfam

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Indiana
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Around here, we chop the heads off of geese with an ax. The body is heavy so it needs to be supported. They don't flap as hard as chickens, so you can just hold them out at arm's length and let them bleed.

I have no idea about using an air compressor to remove the skin. Let us know how it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by