Can I use an old outhouse for a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by poconoadoptionfamily, Aug 27, 2010.

1. poconoadoptionfamily

poconoadoptionfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Hawley
    We have an old 2 seater outhouse on our property that while it's rough and needs a new roof and the boards are really weathered, but it seems to be structurally sound inside. We would of course replace the roof and make it predator proof. Maybe t-111 or ship lap on the outside and new door and some windows. There are large gaps between the roof and the walls (made that way) that would be covered with hardware cloth etc. Could this work? Also we would want to move it about 50 feet and am not sure how to do that. Any input or suggestions would really be greatly appreciated. DH is not into my chicken obsession and I'm trying to convince him that this is doable and won't be really expensive.

Thanks, Denise

2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This I've GOTTA see!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yeah, I think it'll work.
    BTW, [​IMG]
    Go to Coop Designs and study, study, study. That's what I did. I couldn't find any usable plans online, but there are good ones here on peoples pages. Plus, everybody loves it when you look at their stuff.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Sounds perfect! Plenty of ventilation with the gaps, too! Please post pics - before and after! [​IMG]:lau

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Not to mention the ventilation from the crescent moon cut into the door, and the two holes serve as a poop board! Now... how to keep the hens from falling in?

5. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Heres a pic of an outhouse coop that I made and sold for 150.00:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Somebody on here used to have one but it was only a 1seater. (was a long while back) I think a 2 seater would be great!!! You gotta post pictures!!!

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:This could be a good poster for our times--"The economy only a CHICKEN could love!"

8. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Someone posted awhile back about an ad on craigs' list. They were selling coops in the outhouse style but they went one step further and used a toilet seat for the entrance to the nest box. They were really cute, once you got over the eeeww factor!

9. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:Yeah! I saw that too. I thought it was GREAT! I love the outhouse idea. And, you could hang corn cob treats right next to the potty...chickens can eat the corn and if your guest needs a place to ummm go, they can use the cobs for...well....you know what they are for [​IMG]

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Here's my outhouse "Krapper Koupe" I just finished. It was never a real outhouse, just made to look that way.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by