Can I use cardboard and hot glue for chick house?

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I am making a brooder out of a big red bin. I want to make sure the chicks have things to do...not only walk around, eat and drink. I was wondering if I could make a little house/playground for them and put it in there. It would be made of cardboard and hot glue to hold things together. Is that ok for them?

Thanks so much!

Hi all,

I am making a brooder out of a big red bin. I want to make sure the chicks have things to do...not only walk around, eat and drink. I was wondering if I could make a little house/playground for them and put it in there. It would be made of cardboard and hot glue to hold things together. Is that ok for them?

Thanks so much!
that should be fine... Just watch to make sure they don't eat it!

I would only have a couple concerns. Height you don’t want them jumping down and hurting themselves especially the legs. I would be concerned that they might peck the glue. Baby chicks spend their time resting and growing for the most part. I found that if I rolled up towels in different thickness that was adventurous enough for them. They could grip it and they didn’t slip. They would play King Of The Hill all day. Best wishes

I'd worry about how sturdy it would be and how long it would be before chick poo has soaked into it. I think I'd find some plastic carton or something I could cut a "door" in and wash off in hot water when appropriate.

When I'm brooding chicks, I give them a little branch about an inch high to try roosting on. I just make a small hole near the corner of their enclosure and stick one end through a couple inches. Then I make a second hole about 90˚ from it where the stick ends and push that one through as well.

Between running from the heat source to the water and the food and the roost, I think they're pretty busy and entertained. Also if you do Mama Heating Pad with the little cavey-thing they can climb on that as well as under it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom