CAN I USE CEDAR BEDDING FOR MY NEW CHICKS?

CHICKMOM

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 24, 2007
I WENT TO MY LOCAL SUPPLY STORE AND THEY TOLD ME TO USE CEDAR BEDDING, BUT ALL OF MY INFO I HAVE FOUND DOESN'T MENTION CEDAR. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP...

CHICKMOM, pine shavings are the best for your peeps, plus they are less expensive.

Cedar is good for small animals, however the oils in cedar aren't good for the chicks.

bigzio

THANK YOU I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFO.. I HAVEN'T HAD CHICKS SINCE I WAS YOUNGER AND COULD NOT REMEMBER.. THANK YOU

First of all, many people use cedar shavings and have no problems, but we use only Pine Shavings.
Cedar shavings/chips give off 'fumes' that may KILL SOME POULTRY PARASITES, but they are also toxic to chickens. By themselves, they may not cause problems, but they may affect the chickens respiratory system enough to stress them and make them more susceptible to other diseases that may be around.

FWIW ...

We can't even use cedar for our gerbils, though many pet shops will recommend it.

Talking to more knowledgeable folks taught us that it was the oils in the cedar causing respiratory problems in the lil' rats. Although it's true some gerbils seem to be ok with it.

I'd think chicks would be even more suceptible, as when I used to raise exotic birds, we had to be extra careful with anything involving their respiratory systems ... birds are generally more fragile than mammals that way.

So ... I'd really not use it for chicks, or any other animals for that matter.

Except maybe sealed in beds for dogs, where it may help repel fleas somewhat.

Hope this isn't TOO off topic!

There have been a couple of studies done that show that pine shavings can have the same effect on chicks as the cedar shavings. I have in the past used a mixture of cedar and soft wood shavings after the birds are several months old and outside in well ventilated coops.

I agree with Wes. All shavings have problems, and some critters are sensative to one or the other. I don't use cedar in young chicks brooding but I do mix it in for the older chicks and adults when they have to be inside more, winter when lice and mites are a greater risk. It really helps.

Inhalation does pose some risks. But the most toxic reaction to it, is if they ingest it. The oil in cedar is quite toxic if taken internally. So the biggest risks are with chicks young enough that they don't know better than to eat it.

I personally think pine shavings are better than cedar because the "fumes" don't last as long. You can spread some shaving out in a box and let it set overnight...and you can't "smell" the pine hardly at all, but cedar you'll smell for "ages".....I think ventilation is truly key.

On the other hand....I know lots of people use newspaper and papertowels for very small peeps for easier cleanup as well as those little guys will try and eat just about anything...nothing to peck at and eat if it's just paper towels!

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom